• Italiano
  • English
  • Français
  • Español
  • Deutsch

The Violin and the Music city

Cremona is the world capital of the art of violin and string making, a title of which the town is really proud especially because, out of all the musical instruments, violin is the one that can best arouse deep emotions.

Nowadays. Over two hundred violin makers workshops keep the tradition alive by following the footprints of very well-known Cremonese violin makers such as Antonio Stradivari, the Amati's end the Guarneri's. Furthermore, a prestigious international school of violin making prepares every year many students coming from all over the world.

Everything in this town talks about violins and music. It is also possible, under previous reservation, to visit come workshoops to witness the process of creating violins.

Soon, the museum of violin will be opening. The building will be technologically advanced so that il will make it easy to learn anything related to violins and violin making. Also, in the museum, rooms with a special acoustic will be available to actually listen to violins playing.

Among its most famous citizens. Cremona likes to remember talented musicians such as Monteverdi and Ponchielli, who contribuited to the start of an important tradition in the music and concerts field, for instance there is the Monteverdi festival.

The history of the Stradivarian Museum began in 1893, the year in which the town of Cremona accepted Giovanni Battista Cerani's donation of moulds, patterns and various tools that had belonged to Cremonese violin makers, including some of Antonio Stradivari's.
In 1895 a contribution by Pietro Grulli expanded the first donation, adding four wooden closing clamps of Stradivarian origin.
But the most significant part of the Museum is represented by the artefacts originating from the collection of Ignazio Alessandro Cozio, Count of Salabue.
Born in 1755, he is considered to be the first great violin making scholar.

The current building dates from 1747 when a group of noblemen decided to present the town with a public theatre to replace previous aristocratic theatres. The Cremona architect Giovanni Battista Zaist was put in charge of the project and the theatre was named Nazari, in honour of the Marquis who ordered its construction. It was destroyed by fire in 1806, rebuilt by the architect Luigi Canonica and given the name Concordia Theatre. In 1824 the structure was partly destroyed in another fire and it was renovated to its current appearance, by the architects Faustino Rodi and Luigi Voghera: at the beginning of the XX century it became the Amilcare Ponchielli Theatre, in honour of the great Cremona operatic composer.

This was one of the first theatres in the town: commissioned by the family of the Ariberti Marquises in 1670, it was meant for private use with a raised passageway, which can still be seen on the south-eastern side, connecting it to the residential building. It was turned into a religious oratory by the Filippini fathers, and was used by them until 1798. Later, the architect Faustino Rodi brought it back to its original use as a theatre for public enjoyment in its current architectural form, completed in 1807.